Subscribe to never miss an important update!
- Context (DTE): Interest in indigenous cattle breeds like the Pulikulam is reviving.
- The cattle originated from Pulikulam, a village located in Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu.
- The Pulikulam is a popular draught and game breed of Tamil Nadu.
- Cows are poor milkers, and milk yield ranges from 0.5 to 3 kg per day with an average yield of about 1.25 kg per day.
- They are reared for draught and organic agricultural production, especially of spices.
- Pulikulam bulls faced the risk of slaughter after the jallikattu ban. With the ban lifted, there is now growing interest in indigenous breeds like the Pulikulam.
Indigenous cattle breeds
National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR)