Jammu & Kashmir National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries & Ramsar Sites
Refer to the latest edition of Environment Hardcopy/PDF and Current Affairs for the most updated information on this topic.
City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park
- Located in Srinagar, the park is named to commemorate the Indian ornithologist Salim Ali.
- Major Fauna: Kashmiri stag (hangul) (CR), musk deer (EN), Himalayan black bear.
- Major Avifauna: Paradise flycatcher, Himalayan monal, and Himalayan snowcock.
Salim Ali (1896-1987)
- Salim Ali, an Indian ornithologist, was the first Indian to conduct systematic bird surveys across India.
- He was a key figure behind the Bombay Natural History Society and creation of the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary (Keoladeo National Park).
Dachigam National Park
- It is located in the Zabarwan Range of Western Himlayas.
- Vegetation: Coniferous forest, alpine pastures, meadows abd scrub vegetation.
- Major Fauna: Kashmiri stag (hangul) (CR), musk deer (EN), Himalayan serow, Kashmir grey langur, Himalayan black bear, Himalayan brown bear.
Kishtwar National Park
- It is bounded to the north by Rinnay River, south by Kibar Nala catchment, east by main divide of Great Himalayas and west by Marwah River.
- Vegetation: Conifer forests, alpine scrub and meadows.
- Major Fauna: Snow Leopards, Himalayan snowcock.
Wildlife Sanctuaries of Jammu & Kashmir
Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is located in the foothills of Pir Panjal Range.
- Major Fauna: Musk deer, common leopard, barking deer.
Hirapora Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is located in Shopian district of Kashmir.
- On the west, it is bounded by Pir Panjal pass.
Hokersar or Hokera Wildlife Sanctuary (Ramsar Site)
- It is a natural perennial wetland contiguous to Jhelum basin. It is an important migratory bird area.
Nandni Wildlife Sanctuary (BS)
- It is near Jammu and is known for its pheasant population.
Overa-Aru Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is located to the east of Dachigam National Park.
- Major fauna: Hangul (Kashmir Stag; CR), musk deer (EN), snow leopard (VU).
Rajparian (Daksum) Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is located in Anantnag district of Kashmir.
- Major fauna: Hangul (Kashmir Stag; CR), musk deer (EN).
- It is disturbed due to excessive grazing by nomadic Bakarwals.The Bakarwal are nomads of the Pir Panjal and Himalayan mountains. They are transhumants.
Ramnagar Rakha Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is located near Jammu.
- Major fauna: Musk deer, brown bears, leopards.
Surinsar Mansar Wildlife Sanctuary (Ramsar Site)
- It derives its name from the two lakes on the sanctuary.
- It is located 58 kms away from the Jammu city.
Tral Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is created in Pulwama to conserve hangul (Kashmir Stag; CR). It act as a buffer around Dachigam National Park and Overa-Aru Wildlife Sanctuary.
Trikuta Wildlife Sanctuary
- Located to the north of Jammu, it hosts the highly revered Vaishno Devi shrine.
- Jasrota Wildlife Sanctuary: Located in the Sivalik Hills to the west of Ranjit Sagar Dam (Punjab).
8 new from Rs. 474
as of May 31, 2023 4:04 PM
Last updated on May 31, 2023 4:04 PM
Amazon.inNCERT PLUS General Studies Objective & Subjective Question Bank for UPSC &...
Rs. 904 ▼Rs. 210
Amazon.inScience and Technology (English| 6th Edition) | UPSC | Civil Services Exam |...
Rs. 463 ▼Rs. 117