Subscribe to never miss an important update!
National Parks Tiger Reserves Wildlife Sanctuaries of Bihar Jharkhand West Bengal Sikkim
- It is located in the foothill ranges of Siwaliks at the Indo-Nepal border. River Gandak (called ‘Narayani’ in Nepal) forms its western boundary. It is the only National Park in Bihar.
- Harha-Masan River system originates from the Valmiki National Park and forms Burhi Gandak River down south.
- Vegetation: Moist deciduous, semi-evergreen, freshwater swamps, alluvial grasslands, savannah and wetlands.
- Major Fauna: Bengal tiger, rhinoceros, Indian flying fox, black bear, sloth bear, leopard, barking deer, spotted deer, hog deer, sambar, clouded Leopard, Indian gaur.
- ‘Tharu’, a scheduled tribe, is the dominant community.
Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is situated south of the Ganges River, at the northern edge of Chota Nagpur Plateau and west of Santhal Pargana.
Gautam Budha Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is located in Bihar and Jharkhand.
Kaimur Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is located in the eastern part of the Vindhyan Scrap Lands. It is the Bihar’s largest Wildlife Sanctuary and is a tiger corridor.
Kanwar Jheel Wildlife Sanctuary (BS) (Ramsar Site)
- It is Asia’s largest freshwater oxbow lake. It is larger than the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary (Keoladeo Ghana National Park, Rajasthan).
- Notable Avifauna: White-backed vulture (CR) & Long-billed (Indian) vulture (CR).
Udaipur Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is an oxbow lake in the floodplain of the Gandaki River.
Vikramshila Gangetic Dolphin Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is a 60 km stretch of the Ganges River from Sultanganj to Kahalgaon in Bhagalpur district, Bihar.
- It is a protected area for India’s national aquatic animal – Gangetic dolphins (EN).
- Barela Jheel Salim Ali Bird Wildlife Sanctuary (Salim Ali-Jubba Sahni Bird Sanctuary): Natural home for migratory birds.
- Kusheshwar Asthan Bird Wildlife Sanctuary: Close to the right bank of River Kosi (Sorrow of Bihar) and Kanwar Lake.
- Nagi Dam Wildlife Sanctuary & Nakti Dam Wildlife Sanctuary: Bird Sanctuaries in Jamui district. They are located close to each other.
- Pant (Rajgir) Wildlife Sanctuary: Located in the ancient city of Rajgir in Nalanda district, Bihar.