Subscribe to never miss an important update!
Australia’s Cocos (Keeling) Islands
- Context (TH): Australia’s Cocos Islands and Christmas Islands are strategically located near the world’s most important maritime choke points (strategic narrow routes) like the Malacca Strait.
- These islands are located closer to Indonesia than to Australia.
- The islands are strategically located, making them ideal for monitoring shipping traffic.
- The islands were used as a staging ground for the Australian military during World War II.
- They are close to the equator, which makes them ideal for refuelling aircraft and ships.
Great Coco Island of Myanmar and China’s Presence