Subscribe to never miss an important update!
- Context (PIB | IE | TH): During his two-day visit to Varanasi, the Prime Minister will inaugurate the second edition of the Kashi Tamil Sangamam 2023.
- Kashi Tamil Sangamam 2023 was inaugurated in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- It is the second edition of the initiative, to be held from December 17 to December 31.
- The first edition was organized as a part of the “Azadi ka Amrit Mahostsav” celebration in 2022.
- It celebrates the historical and civilisational connection between India’s North and South.
- Multi-language and braille translations of Thirukkural, Manimekalai, and other classic Tamil literature were also launched at the event.
- The Kanyakumari – Varanasi Tamil Sangamam train was also flagged off by the PM.
- BHU and IIT-Madras are knowledge partners for the event.
Historical and Cultural Connection between North-South
- As per the Brahmanda Purana, King Dasharath of Ayodhya is believed to have visited Kanchipuram to seek blessings from Amba Kamakshi.
- Story of King Parakrama Pandya of Madurai in the 15th century constructing the Shiva temple of Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu, links Kashi to the South.
- Pandyas had built the Kasi Viswanathar Temple in Tenkasi in southwestern Tamil Nadu, also linked to a visit to Kashi.
- Trade links between the silk cities of Varanasi and Kanchipuram were also culturally significant for people-to-people contact.