Andaman & Nicobar Islands National Parks
Refer to the latest edition of Environment Hardcopy/PDF and Current Affairs for the most updated information on this topic.
Campbell Bay & Galathea National Parks (Great Nicobar)
- They are a part of the Great Nicobar Biosphere Reserve. A 12-km wide forest buffer zone separates both parks.
- Galathea National Park is the southernmost National Park of India.
- Vegetation: tropical evergreen & semi-evergreen forests.
- Major Fauna: Giant robber crab, megapode, Nicobar pigeon and turtle species (Hawksbill, Olive Ridley, Leatherback, Malayan box and Giant Leatherback).
Mahatama Gandhi Marine National Park (South Andaman)
- It is located in South Andaman. It was declared a National Park to protect mangroves, corals and nesting sea turtles. Most of the coral reefs in the park are fringing reefs.
Mount Harriett National Park (Mount Manipur National Park)
- Mount Harriett is the third-highest peak in the A&N archipelago. It is located near Port Blair in South Andaman. It is renamed Mount Manipur National Park in honour of Manipur’s freedom fighters who were imprisoned there.
- Vegetation: tropical evergreen, hilltop tropical evergreen and littoral forests. The park is also a butterfly hotspot.
- Major Fauna: Andaman wild pigs, saltwater crocodiles, turtles and robber crabs.
Rani Jhansi Marine National Park
- It is located in Ritchie’s Archipelago, South Andaman. It lies in the vicinity of Button Islands.
- Vegetation: Mangroves and evergreen forests.
- Major Terrestrial Fauna: Spotted deer, water lizards and monitor lizards. The main attraction of the park is a fruit-eating bat. It plays a major role in the ecosystem because it pollinates plants and scatters seeds.
- Major Marine Fauna: Dugongs, dolphins, sea turtles, blue whales and corals.
Saddle Peak National Park (Andaman and Nicobar Islands)
- Saddle peak (732 m) is the highest point of A&N Islands.
- Major Fauna: Andaman wild pig, Andaman imperial pigeon, dolphins, whales and saltwater crocodile.
Wildlife Sanctuaries of Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Barren Island Wildlife Sanctuary: Barren Island is the only active volcano in India.
- Narcondam Island Wildlife Sanctuary: Narcondam Island is a dormant volcano.
8 new from Rs. 474
as of May 31, 2023 4:04 PM
Last updated on May 31, 2023 4:04 PM
Amazon.inNCERT PLUS General Studies Objective & Subjective Question Bank for UPSC &...
Rs. 904 ▼Rs. 210
Amazon.inScience and Technology (English| 6th Edition) | UPSC | Civil Services Exam |...
Rs. 463 ▼Rs. 117