Meghalaya National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries
Refer to the latest edition of Environment Hardcopy/PDF and Current Affairs for the most updated information on this topic.
Balphakram National Park
- It is located south of Garo Hills in Meghalaya, close to Indo-Bangladesh border.
- Major Fauna: Barking deer, Asian golden cat, tiger, marbled cat, wild water buffalo, red panda, elephant.
Nokrek Ridge National Park
- It is located close to Tura Peak in West Garo Hills. It forms the core area of the Nokrek Biosphere Reserve.
- The Nokrek region is also an Important Bird Area.
- All important river of Garo Hills region rise from the Nokrek Range, of which the Simsang River (known as Someshwari in Bangladesh) is most prominent.
- Vegetation: Evergreen, semi-evergreen and deciduous.
- Major Fauna: Red panda, Asian elephant, stump-tailed macaque, pig-tailed macaque, hoolock gibbon.
Wildlife Sanctuaries of Meghalaya
- Baghmara Pitcher Plant: On the banks of Someshwari River that divides the Garo Hills into two parts.
- Narpuh Wildlife Sanctuary: Jaintia Hills.
- Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary: Ri Bhoi District.
- Siju Bird Wildlife Sanctuary: On the banks of Simsang River in the South Garo Hills district.
8 new from Rs. 474
as of May 31, 2023 4:04 PM
Last updated on May 31, 2023 4:04 PM
Amazon.inNCERT PLUS General Studies Objective & Subjective Question Bank for UPSC &...
Rs. 904 ▼Rs. 210
Amazon.inScience and Technology (English| 6th Edition) | UPSC | Civil Services Exam |...
Rs. 463 ▼Rs. 117