Subscribe to never miss an important update!
- Context (TH): The Karman line that demarcates the Earth’s atmosphere from space plays an important role. It is an imaginary line located 100 km above sea level.
- It was established in the 1960s by a record-keeping body called Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI).
Physical Condition Change at the Karman Line
- There is no drastic change in the physical condition within a short distance on either side of the line.
- There is no significant difference in the pressure or the composition of air.
- The Earth’s gravity continues to exert its pull here.
- Even the earth’s atmosphere does not end here.
Importance of Karman Line
- The Kármán Line was established to regulate airspace.
- It roughly marks the altitude beyond which a traditional aircraft can not fly. Any aircraft flying beyond it needs a propulsion system to pull away from the Earth’s tug.
- It also acts as a legal reference separating airspace that a country can claim to own from space itself, governed like international waters.