Subscribe to never miss an important update!
- Context (TH): Madras HC ruled that:
- SC/ST/OBC reservation does not apply to minority educational institutions (religious and linguistic minorities institutions).
- The govt cannot compel such institutions to provide reservations to SC/ST/OBC candidates.
- Intake of minority students cannot exceed 50%.
Reservation in Minority Institutions: Constitutional Provisions
- Under Article 15(5) of IC, the state can make provisions related to admission in educational institutions for socially and educationally backward classes, SCs, and STs.
- Minority Institutions are excluded from Article 15(5).
Article 30 (1) of IC
Six centrally notified minority communities
- Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists, Jains, and Zoroastrians (Parsis) have been notified as minority communities under the National Commission for Minorities Act of 1992.
Reservation in educational institutions